Saturday, November 17, 2012

Lithops of the Month: Karasmontana "Top Red"

One of my very first purchases was also one of my very favorite species of Lithops, karasmontana. Now the naming of Lithops species, as all Lithops enthusiasts know, is maddening on a good day. On bad days, I've been known to just give up trying to figure out which Lithops belongs to which species. With some species, like L. dorotheae, it's pretty easy to figure it out. Ditto "Optica Rubra" and some others that make it easy for us to identify them.

The species L. karasmontana is particularly maddening in that its members often look nothing like each other at all. "Top Red" and "Avocado Cream" belong to the same species??? Gedouttahere!

Here's my lovely "Top Red". It's an easy one to grow, very tough, and gorgeous, too.

2 comments:

  1. I agree, the diversity in karasmontana is quite mind-boggling. Top Reds are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Top Reds are some of my favorites for sure. I think it's a Japanese cultivar, they really go for strong, unusual colors.

    ReplyDelete