Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Pensive Tuesday: A Global Cease-Fire?



When I read the news these days, I want to turn off the computer and spend more time with my plants in the garden. Do you? I am tired of reading about the Daily Carnage our species is engaged in…but how to counteract the violent chaos?

Personally, I would love to see all seven-and-a-quarter-billion of us agree to a 24-hour period of No Killing. We could choose any day of the year. Maybe an ordinary Monday. Mondays need a little love. We could exempt the 0-3 year-old crowd, I guess, but the rest of us could pledge that for just that one day, we would not kill each other. Could we actually do that? Choose a day to Not Kill? And if we did, what would happen?

On its own, one day doesn’t seem very significant. But I think, if we could pull it off, it would show us that it is possible to live peacefully. At least for a little while, one day at a time. That is not as hard as we think it is. 

 Success for just one day could give us the confidence to continue. One day could become three days. Three days could become a week. And then, perhaps, if we got that far, the impossible dream of no killing for a year wouldn’t seem like such a crazy fantasy anymore.  

Stranger things have happened in this world….
Photo by Riccardo Senettin, Italy, June 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment