Sunday, May 18, 2014

Plant Walk: The Incredible World of Your Local Plants

This weekend I was very blessed to learn about (and taste) many of our native plants. Wanna eat a spiderwort bud? No problem, it's good for your stomach....

Spiderwort, MR, 2014
My Herbology teacher and a local guide led a daylong hike through our forests, and the dozen students (including me) had their minds blown by the abundance of edible and medicinal native plants, some of which grow in our own backyards. I learned a great deal about 31 native plants. All are amazing, and it would take a decade to really learn about just this group. We walk by our native plants every day and often call them weeds. Not so! If you have a chance to take herb or plant walks in your area with people who really know and care about the flora of your area, I urge you to do so. You will be humbled and amazed. And for those of you who, like me, never really liked enclosed classrooms, open spaces and wilderness are awesome places to learn new things....
Class is in session!
A few of my new favorites:
Wild Muscadine Grapes
Saw Palmetto, MR, 2014



No comments:

Post a Comment