Thursday, August 14, 2014

Adromischus cristatus, the Key Lime Pie Plant, blooms!

Believe it or not, my original post on the Key Lime Pie Plant (Adromischus cristatus, a lovely and fuzzy African succulent) is my most popular post ever. Seriously! So I thought I should post when it bloomed, and this week, it did!
Adromischus cristatus in bloom, MR, 2014
The flowers are perched on an impossibly long stalk. Some Haworthias and aloes do that, too. They are light lavender, and sadly have no scent whatsoever. Here's a close-up:
Close-up of Adromischus cristatus flowers, MR, 2014
The Key Lime Pie Plant is one of my all time favorites. It's got crinkled, fuzzy leaves, weird bright orange aerial roots, and one strange way to flower. I love it! And I hope you do, too.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the flower Marla. Adromischus cristatus was one of the first succulents I owned and remains a favorite plant. Although now I seem to have a lot of favorite plants. :) I didn't know it was called the Key Lime Pie Plant. Do you know the origin of that common name? I bet there's an interesting story behind it. You seldom see the flowers, so thanks for showing them off. Hope you summer has been a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't "Key Lime Pie Plant" a weird name? Maybe it's because our State Dessert down here is the Key Lime Pie?? I've also seen it labeled, "Pie Crust Plant", obviously from the crinkled leaves. But a Key Lime Pie often has a graham-cracker crust so, I dunno! I will bet that, if you asked people around the world, it would have lots of other names in other languages, too. What a plant! Hope your summer is a fun one!

    ReplyDelete