Sunday, June 28, 2015

Abominable!

Alert Gardeners Gail and Ellen brought up a horrible new practice at the big box stores. Spray-painted cacti and succulents. If this isn't plant torture (and eye torture) I don't know what is:
I've been reading a book called "Supernormal Stimuli" by Deirdre Barrett. She describes how in our modern techno-paradise (ha!) we keep piling on abnormal stimuli and we get hooked on this. Seems green cacti aren't enough anymore and some bright marketing VP came up with "something better". It sure does draw attention, but it is disgusting.

 No idea if it actually kills the plants but I'll bet it doesn't enhance photosynthesis or respiration. Remember Jill Masterson from the James Bond film "Goldfinger"?? 'Nuf said.

Maybe we gardeners should start a "Keep Plants Green" campaign??

4 comments:

  1. Those cacti are an abomination. Maybe people should start spray-painting their kids and their dogs. That would make them so much cuter.

    Another thing I've seen around here is green spray-painted dirt after developers have bulldozed away all the natural vegetation. It's usually an unnatural blue-green color.

    I like the "Keep Plants Green" campaign!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Let's "Keep Plants Green". I too think of "Goldfinger" whenever I see the tortured cacti. Aargh! Plant painting is so offensive to me on so many levels. I don't know where to begin...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that movie when I was a very impressionable little gal and that scene totally creeps me out to this day! Poor plants.

      Delete