Thursday, August 16, 2012

Ants in the News!

Ants in my house drive me nuts, and we have a new invasive ant here in Florida, the Hairy Crazy Ant, that's driving everyone nuts! Fortunately, it doesn't like the beach, yet....



But I just read an article on the BBC that makes me feel a little better about those swarmy, pesky critters that make up 10% of the world's biomass:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/19262994

It's a good read for everyone that loves the incredible plant diversity of South Africa, and wonders how it happened.

(creepy photo courtesy of Mississippi State Entomological Museum)

3 comments:

  1. Interesting article. Thanks! Still do not like them in my sugar, or around my aloes! LT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too many ants and I start getting antsy, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting article Marla. Saw Bug's Life the other night; such a clever movie, and made me realise how fascinating and complex the insect world can be.

    ReplyDelete