Friday, August 31, 2012

Weekend Update: Lithops Seedlings and More

Not much going on this holiday weekend, some new pots, and continuing progress of the seedlings. So here's the news-- my rescued-from-someone's trash Sansevierias flowered, and they smell lovely. I can see why it's an occasional perfume note. Mostly green, a little spicy, with a hint of something like ylang ylang.


And here are the Lithops and "mixed cactus" seedlings, coming along nicely. Isaac didn't faze them a bit!


And here's a new tray I'm proud of, as the glaze is a very tricky one, "Ancient Jasper"- too heavy a coat, it turns into a mass of hardened bubbles. Too thin a coat, and it's just icky, sticky brown. Like Goldilocks, I finally found the way to make it just right. It's living up to its name now. Have a great weekend!


9 comments:

  1. Congrats! Sansevieria flowers are very special indeed, all the seedlings are looking very good, and the tray and glaze looks magnificent! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Lithopsland! Your compliments made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you make hanging wall pots? They're nice for plants that do not need to be transplanted, or like the humidity in the bathroom cause there is never enough counter space to set a pot on in the bathroom...or the kitchen. Have fun this weekend. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea. I've made some Tillandsia tiles to hang, but not wall pots per se. I'll have to try a few and see how they do? How would you handle the after-watering drips??

      Delete
    2. I always use a spray bottle on my succulents or other plants that I'm afraid to over water and then there is no dripping.

      Delete
  4. A Sansevieria blooming! And a rescue at that. Thank you for the baby pictures and the photo of the beautiful tray. You are very talented, Marla. Gail

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much, Gail! And this is the first time I've seen a Sansie bloom. I think it's because they are usually kept indoors in "that awkward shady spot"- they will grow there, but they won't bloom or seed. Since they offset, that's not a problem for the plant, but the blooms are really special and I'm glad I grew the Sansie in a sunnier spot outdoors so I could see it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the tray and I see the spiky cacti, they are fairly cute when small, bravely saying - do not touch! Very nice. LT

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, and yes, super-cute at that age!

    ReplyDelete