Thursday, August 2, 2012

Babytoes 2 and Baby Lithops, the Oddball

My second Fenestraria, not wanting to be outdone, has also bloomed magnificently! Unfortunately, they weren't quite synchronized, so I don't think the chances of seed formation are high.  Fenestraria flowers are so large compared to the plants themselves, they always get ooos and aaaahs from anyone who sees them. No scent, though, too bad.
And here is a group of the Lithops seedlings for the beginning of August, a couple of months old now. Can you see the copper-colored oddball in the center? I am quite interested in how that one will look when grown, it's beautiful already! In accord with what I've read on the Internet, I'm giving them less water now. And stronger light. Always stressful, growing the first batch, I suppose!

9 comments:

  1. Your Lithops seedlings look really good Marla; so much better than my first batch. :-) Pretty flower on the Fenestraria too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Though a few are leaning, most look okay, so I hope they continue to grow well....

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are looking rather happy. I just love the variation one gets in every batch of seeds. The odd ones are the treasures - the promise of something unique and spectacularly beautiful. Never a dull moment :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know, I'm really excited about that coppery one! Who needs television when you've got baby succulents growing??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful lighting on your Fenestraria picture. It looks so dreamy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, I thought it deserved a "glamour shot"!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Maria, enjoying your Fenestraria pics. Can I assume I need more than one flower on my plant at the same time to insure fertilization? Does a seed pod develop? I'd love to know more about collecting seeds from this plant but can't seem to find any info online. Thank you very much, Elise

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Maria, I think my comment has been eaten twice. Here goes a third time. Any info on propogating this Fenestraria from its own seeds? Assuming I need two flowers open simultaneously to insure fertilization? Does a seed pod develop? Can't seem to find any info online. Thank you, Elise

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Elise!
    I have never tried growing Fenestraria from seed. I have tried Lithops, Conophytum, and other mesembs. It's very hard to get viable seeds, most of mine died in the mail from too much heat in the mail trucks (I live in Zone 10). I've propagated them only by root division, and that works well. If I find anything online about growing them from seed, I'll post it!

    ReplyDelete