Thursday, February 14, 2013

A Flower For Valentine's Day

One of my Tillandsia caput medusae (Medusa's Head Tilly) decided to bloom a little early. I thought it made a nice, and rather unusual, Valentine's Day flower:

Tillandsia caput medusae in bloom, MR 2013
Caput medusaes can can be a little tricky, as they are very prone to rot at the base. They are densely fuzzy with trichomes and therefore retain a lot of water. The bottom leaf pouches must be drained after a good soak, because rot can form very quickly in them. The flower is lovely and reminds me of a bird-of-paradise.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you, Gail! It's certainly an uncommon flower for Feb 14.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think i have this variety. looks like i 'll have to watch my watering... thanks for the suggestion of draining the lower leaves. how often do you soak them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. T. caput medusae is frequently sold in nurseries. It's a little ironic, because it's one of the more difficult species to keep alive! I give them a bucket soak for 10 min. twice a week in the cold months, and every other day in summer. After watering, I drain the leaves and check for any rot at the base. If it's not a bucket day, they get misted in the morning. Don't water at night, that's when they respire. Enjoy your Tillies!

    ReplyDelete