Thursday, March 7, 2013

Repotted and Lovin' It Part II

So for Thoughtful Thursday, I decided what to write for next Pensive Tuesday. It will be about...dirt.

But strangely, my post on re-potting has proven to be one of my most popular. People from about 20 different countries have read it. OK, so re-potting is good fun, it's action-packed, it's a special time for me and my plants. And since I've finished quite a few more pots recently, I've been doing a lot of it. The one above is for 3 of the young cacti I started from seed last year. The seeds were labeled "Cactus", but I think they could be Mammillaria. Let's hope so.

Here's a repotted Crassula. Though it was only re-potted about 10 days ago, it's grown so much in that time that I've already started its next, larger pot. Good grief, curb your enthusiasm, Crassula!


These Lithops marmorata, aka "The Brains" look symmetrical and tidy in their new pot. And this tiny julii (about 1.5cm tall) was so exuberant, it got its own tiny pot (about 5cm tall) as well:

This next pot is here simply because I'm proud of it. No idea what's going in it yet. It's the terracotta clay with malachite glaze; I'm quite smitten with this combo.



And finally, more malachite glaze, this on white stoneware. The sculpture on the right is part of a family project. Any family member or friend that visits me on my sand dune is encouraged to (ie: strongarmed into) making a garden sculpture for my garden. This one is my father's first sculpture ever. I love it!


For Repotted and Lovin' It Part III, I'll probably show the incredibly messy areas where I actually re-pot these guys, and make the pots! You may be shocked....




4 comments:

  1. Inspirational as always...I am toying with an idea to make a few pots at some stage...I think it is 'cool' to have plants in own pots..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I inspired you! Go throw some pots! I love pottery because it's basically the adult version of playing in the mud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Problem is the kiln, need to see if I can find a pottery group for that.

      Delete
  3. The kiln is the crux, that's for sure. I'm fortunate to have a great community kiln within a 10-minute drive. But there are smaller kilns for sale that can be installed without as much hassle, if you're not making more than a few pots at a time.

    ReplyDelete