Monday, June 11, 2012

Mammillaria Crashes Panda Party!

I have one dish for leaf/offset propagation, and right now, there are panda kalanchoe leaves, and Mammillaria gracilis (Thimble cactus) offsets rooting there. They've all put out roots, and they seem to be having fun. Someone at the nursery knocked a large thimble cactus onto the ground, dislodging lots of offsets, and I asked if I could take some home to see if they grew. I dipped the ends in rooting hormone, let them dry a few days, planted them up in a mix of cactus soil, sand, and perlite, and so far, so good. Hope I have enough friends in the neighborhood to find homes for all these new plants in a few months!

2 comments:

  1. That pot is so cool, and the arrangement of plants is very pretty. :-) The thimble cactus sure do look nice. I hope that your plants have a strong and healthy start to their new life. Your friends are very lucky to be able to share these beautiful plants with you. This is a very cool Blog! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, gaianursery! I've been making some prototypes of germination/rooting pots, because I don't like using flimsy plastic stuff, just a personal thing. I'll let you all know how they work out.

    ReplyDelete